Q: How does HCA’s quality compare to other hospitals?
A: HCA has the highest quality of any bidder based on government mandated core measure scores. Core measure scores are the only truly objective indicator of quality. All other hospital rankings (US News and World Report, Consumer Reports, Leap Frog and others) rely in part on surveys and subjective measures.
In 2012, 71% of HCA hospitals were included in The Joint Commission’s list of “Top Performers.” No other hospitals in the Greater New Orleans area received this honor.
Also, HCA hospitals, including our hospitals in Louisiana and Mississippi surpassed every local competitor in the most recently issued CMS Hospital Quality Alliance Grand Composite Score. Refer to the bar chart below for more information.
Recent noteworthy recognitions of HCA’s commitment to Quality, Ethics & Compliance:
- Cited by Institute of Medicine for High Value Health Practices (2012)
- Patient Safety Practices (e.g., influenza prevention, preventing pre-term delivery) endorsed by American Hospital Association, National Patient Safety Foundation, CMS Innovation Center (2011-2012)
- February of 2013 Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Recognized HCA for Improving Health of Moms and Babies
- Fortune Magazine’s 2012 annual World’s Most Admired Companies list. HCA is number one in its industry category, “Healthcare: Medical Facilities” for the second consecutive year
- HCA is the only hospital company to be named to Ethisphere’s “World’s Most Ethical Companies” for three years in a row (2010-2012)
- Ten HCA Hospitals were named to Truven Health Analytics 100 Top Hospitals for 2013. Five were recognized in the “Large Community Hospital” Category; Four in the “Medium Community” category and one in the “Teaching” category